Software and services
The Wind Farm Optimization Software
For onshore and offshore wind farms
Meteodyn WFO selects the wind turbine types and optimizes their layout according to several customizable parameters. The optimization is possible based on a production criterion (production, capacity factor or full load hour) or a financial criterion (levelized cost of energy (LCOE) or cost per kWh). The "Fitness" criteria, considers both the production, the LCOE and the investment cost.
To optimize wind farms, the software can use a wind resource map of the site provided by the user or a wind farm simulation carried out in the Meteodyn WT software. In the event of land constraints, it is possible to create exclusion zones preventing the placement of wind turbines in certain areas. Other constraints can also be established to validate the final layout.
Meteodyn WFO is intended for wind farm design or the repowering of projects. The software is meant for wind farm developers and design firms wishing to optimize the production or profit of a wind farm.
WIND FARM OPTIMIZATION MODULE
If project constraints prevent the placement of wind turbines and cables in certain locations, it is possible to add exclusion zones by directly drawing them or by file import.
WIND TURBINE CONFIGURATION
The user can create different groups of wind turbines within a farm, each containing a minimum number and/or maximum number of wind turbines. The types of wind turbines desired, their approximate coordinates and height may be defined.
Examples of use:
- Obtain the type and height of the wind turbines in the farm.
- Improve a pre-existing layout.
- Optimize the choice of wind turbine type if their coordinates are set.
- Create different groups of wind turbines with a defined number for each.
- Add new wind turbines to an existing wind farm.
WIND FARM LAYOUT OPTIMIZATION
The layout can be optimized by defining a minimum or maximum number of wind turbines in the wind farm, the production, or the capacity factor.
The user can add minimum and maximum constraints for the following variables: inflow angle, turbulence intensity, extreme wind speed, shear, air density, wind speed, power density and height.
The software optimizes the wind farm production according to three criteria:
- Energy production
- Capacity factor
- Full-load hours
Meteodyn WFO optimizes the wind farm cost according to three criteria:
- Levelized Cost Of Energy (LCOE): The software will optimize the wind farm so that the lifetime costs are minimized compared to the energy produced.
- Investment per kWh: The wind farm will be optimized to minimize the cost of production per kWh.
- Fitness: The wind farm will be optimized considering both the production, the LCOE and the investment cost of the project. It combines financial and production criteria.
WIND TURBINE TYPE MODULE
The user can modify the wind turbine types available in the software to achieve the wind farm optimization and define their technical characteristics such as rated power, rotor diameter, number of blades, power control, minimum and maximum rotational speed, default hub heights, available hub heights, IEC certification, cost per kW, power curve and thrust curve.
WIDE CHOICE OF PARAMETERS
The software has a wide range of customizable parameters:
- Rates of energy production efficiency by turbine availability, blade pollution, calculation error, climate influence, electricity consumption and cable loss, grid frequency fluctuation and electricity blackout, power curve and wake effect.
- Energy cost parameters such as loan, residual value, Total Lifetime Energy production (TLE), Operation and Maintenance (OM), Depreciation (DEP), sales price, Incentives (INCs), Project Investment Cost (PIC), wind turbine type cost, etc.
FAST AND AUTOMATIC OPTIMIZATION
The software quickly computes the most suitable layout according to the settings defined and the objective function selected by the user.
QUICK VISUALIZATION OF THE WIND FARM AND THE STATE OF OPTIMIZATION
The user can display the wind farm and its optimization state on a world map.
Meteodyn WFO is designed for user comfort. The user may easily switch from one wind farm to another, set the desired parameters for each and launch the calculations.
The results can be exported in a few clicks to different file formats.
COLLABORATIVE WORK FACILITATED
Teamwork is facilitated by remote access to a database common to all users. It is thus possible to work on the same project throughout the different software of the Meteodyn Universe suite without ever having to transfer files.
Local use is also possible.
INTERCONNECTION WITH THE METEODYN UNIVERSE SUITE SOFTWARE
Meteodyn WFO is part of the Meteodyn Universe software suite, dedicated to wind power. The Meteodyn WFO software can be used together with Meteodyn WT.
The HPC version allows you to optimize your computer resources by using an external high performance server. Consequently, you will be able to launch a very large number of calculations simultaneously without any geographical constraint.
Benefit from scientific expertise and in-depth analysis of your projects. Our team of experts is here to help you through consulting services.
MINIMUM SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
Computer operating system: Windows 8.1 or 10, Windows Server 2016 or 2019.
Contact the sales department for more information about the minimum hardware requirements.