Software and services
The service for the computation of solar radiation in urban areas
Solar radiation analysis adapted to the urban microclimate
The sun is a source of energy from which we must make the most of, while knowing how to protect ourselves from it.
It is an indispensable part of the energy transition, both thanks to the electric energy produced through photovoltaic solar panels and through its ability to reduce the heating requirements of buildings. Outdoors, it is essential to correctly dose the exposure to solar radiation to maximize the pedestrian comfort in each season.
UrbaSun service assists in treating these issues for architects, urban planners, consulting firms and landscapers. We compute the irradiation in 3D, onto all surfaces, for:
- Pedestrian sun comfort: its study is progressively being requested by project owners in many countries. Its consideration is essential for the appropriate design of an outdoor public space and the comfort of users. We also compute the sunshine frequency.
- Solar gains: they are essential to climatic construction and should be considered when designing a passive building. They ensure the desired indoor temperature while reducing the use of heating. Additionally, their computation help to select the optimal placement of photovoltaic solar panels. We estimate the solar irradiance onto all the building surfaces.
Our urban solar radiation simulation service offers the following deliverables:
- Mapping of average or instantaneous solar irradiance,
- Mapping of sunshine frequencies,
- Computation of incident solar energy on any type of surface (ground, facade, roof, photovoltaic panels),
- Sun path display.
Computation onto any surface
UrbaSun service computes the solar irradiance onto any surface, be it grounds, facades, roofs or photovoltaic panels.
We then display the temporal evolution of the results.
Optimized computation time and 3D visualization
The computations are performed quite quickly thanks to optimized building modeling.
We provide 3D results displays for a better comprehension of phenomena and to make optimal choices.
Management of solar radiation
Benefit from our scientific expertise to perform an in-depth analysis of your projects.
Our service can help in the optimization of photovoltaic panels placement according to illuminated area.
It can also assist in improving thermal comfort (for example UTCI) through the assessment of high potential heat zones.