Our software and services
The CFD software for urban wind computation and simulation
Wind simulation tailored to the urban microclimate
Wind is a difficult to grasp. In an urbanized environment, its behavior becomes more complex in contact with buildings, and many effects can occur: speed-ups (Venturi effect), vortices, plunging flows, interference, detachments, etc. The built environment thus creates a microclimate that often causes discomfort for users.
To achieve sustainable architecture and urban planning, it is essential to study these aerodynamic phenomena and to integrate them as early as possible in urban projects.
UrbaWind allows you to compute the local wind and model airflows in 3D. It has three modules, each one dedicated to a specific issue:
- Pedestrian wind comfort: its study is more and more requested by project owners in many countries. Its consideration is necessary for the proper development of an outdoor public space and the well-being of users. UrbaWind allows you to compute the wind comfort of pedestrians according to the comfort standards of different countries.
- Natural ventilation: essential to climate construction, it must be taken into account and integrated when designing an energy-efficient building. Natural ventilation guarantee good indoor air temperature, while reducing the use of air conditioning. UrbaWind allows you to optimize the positioning and the nature of the openings.
- Small wind energy: urban wind energy is a renewable energy source that contributes to the energy autonomy of buildings. UrbaWind allows to estimate the potential production and to optimize the small wind turbines positioning.
Our software consists of three modules dedicated to consulting firms, architects and urban planners.
Common functions of all three modules
- Automatic calculation of wind flows
- Seasonal or annual mapping of the average wind
- Modeling and visualization of physical phenomena
1. Pedestrian wind comfort analysis
- Wind comfort cartography according to the frequency thresholds of different standards
- Discomfort origin identification
2. Natural ventilation potential estimation
- Optimization of the master plan to promote the overall potential of the neighborhood
- Calculation of air change rates and indoor airflows
- Optimization of the position and the nature of air entrances on facades
3. Assessment of the urban wind energy potential
- Estimation of wind energy production
- Optimization of wind turbines location
CFD to assess wind in the urban environment
The software is based on CFD technology*, and solves the RANS equations using an appropriate turbulence model.
This technology offers accurate simulation and analysis of wind flow and its characteristics, even in complex environments with many buildings of various shapes and including vegetation.
*Computational fluid dynamics
An unmatched computing speed
UrbaWind is based on a solver dedicated to wind computation. Its power and computation speed, still unmatched, converge faster.
We have also opted for an optimized modeling that saves your IT resources while maintaining the accuracy.
The automatic mesh is refined up to 50 cm from buildings and ground and at the result points, for better accuracy.
A weather database included
UrbaWind integrates a meteorological database from national meteorological stations network, to simplify your work.
Simple imports and exports
Easily import your 3D digital models in universal STL format, along with your own wind data (time series and statistics) in Meteofrance, Energy + or Meteonorm format.
Exploit your results with ease by exporting them in .xls, .xlsx and .txt formats. Additionally, you can export them to dynamic thermal software (DTS).
Extended project support
Benefit from scientific expertise and in-depth analysis of your projects. Our team of experts is at your disposal to assist you.
Minimum system requirements
Operating system: Windows 10
RAM: 8 GB (16 GB recommended)
Computer processor: 2 GHz
Multiprocessors: mini dual core / 64-bit recommended
Graphics card: 256 MB